Globally there has been an exponential rise in demand for healthcare services in the last decade largely driven by increasing population, a surge in incidences of lifestyle-related diseases, increased access to treatment due to health insurance schemes, rising medical tourism and ageing population.The current pandemic has brought healthcare to the forefront and highlighted the need for reliable healthcare systems across the world.
India – Pharmacy to the world
Biocon’s Managing Director Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw has said that “The previous nine months witnessed the largest number of clinical trials, the largest medical publications and research programmes in the country. This clearly shows that we have potential in research and innovation.” The Indian healthcare industry is expected to be among the top 3 in terms of incremental growth. Low-cost resources have facilitated low cost of production providing Indian pharma companies with significant cost advantage and fuelling the growth of the Indian pharma industry.It is now mandatory to upgrade the system to international standards with a focus on encouraging innovations and technological developments.
India is the largest provider of generic drugs globally. Indian pharmaceutical sector supplies over 50% of global demand for various vaccines. 40% of generic demand in the US and 25% of all medicines in the UK. India enjoys an important position in the global pharmaceutical sector. The country also has a large pool of scientists and engineers with the potential to steer the industry ahead to greater heights. Presently, over 80% of the anti-retroviral drugs used globally to combat AID are supplied by Indian pharmaceutical firms.
Need for Electrically Safe and Reliable Infrastructure in Healthcare Ecosystem
Deterioration or faulty Electrical Safety design and philosophy affects sensitive assets directly and/or indirectly. There are three areas to consider in the healthcare ecosystem:
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing units
- Hospitals and related infrastructure
- Biomedical instrumentation
Pharmaceutical Manufacturing units
Manufacturing units must comply with occupational safety and health guidelines. Apart from the standard requirements (protection against slipping, tripping, falling,etc.), for pharmaceutical manufacturing, there are additional hazards such as flammable material, combustible material, hazardous chemicals and biological hazards, etc. Hence, it is required toensure there are no accidents due to electrical faults or leakage in such an environment.
Hospitals and Biomedical Instrumentation
Electrical safety and reliabilityare very important in hospitals. Design of earthing and lightning protection system for hospitals needs to consider special conditions as well such as:
- Hospitals useelectrical systems critical for patient life support where any downtime can result in loss of life.
- In treatments using electric equipment, patients may beunder anesthesia, or unattended, they may not be able to react in case of an electrical fault.
- An ongoing diagnostic procedure, or treatment for patients where natural protection offered by dry skin is lower.
- Also,treatments involve the use of electrically conductive liquids such as saline or blood which can cause unforeseen complications in case of an electrical fault.
- A damaged medical device may result in an incorrect diagnosis, wrong treatment or direct effects such as burns or shock
Benefits of electrical safety and reliability solutions for healthcare ecosystem
In the healthcare ecosystem, key areas to consider for electrical safety and reliability are manufacturing units, hospital building, hospital grounds, power supply, power distribution, surgery room, hospital rooms, biomedical appliances and patient recovery areas. Through our expertise in earthing & lightning protection we provide comprehensive electrical safety and reliability solutions that enable clients to achieve the following:
- Safety to Assets & People
- Increased reliability of power supply and distribution
- Proper Discharge of Electrostatic Charge
- Removal of a spurious control signal
To know more contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org